Tuesday, March 16, 2010

In her shoes

We traveled by taxi into a city

caught in a frayed net of light.

I a girl in grown up’s shoes,

ready to take the world, remake it.


My mother was selling me the house she built, for half-price.

Her eyes sad, she told me she was glad for me.

This gift the biggest of so many, while an ocean of morning air

washed through us, tides of years gone by, and not returning.


Time, a child, tugged at my hand,

pulling me back, as still we moved forward,

across the road to the lawyer’s, the green man flashing

and the cars that stopped to let us walk.


17.3.10

2 comments:

Jacquie said...

Wow Sarah, I love this! My heart and mind say YES. I think it captures things that are usually very hard to capture - elusive time, and a significant moment crystallised in words. I am not good at being a critic of something that has just touched my heart, but will try to return to this in a more scholarly way soon. I also read and loved the next poem, Moore Road. You have a gift for winkling out those hidden areas of the mind/psyche and bringing forth what lies hidden. When I read your poems I find I take a deep breath at the end and then release it. Even when they are sad or poignant your poems calm and focus me. xxx

Amitabh Mitra said...

Very Nice